Matthew chapter 4
summary of what happens in the chapter.
- Jesus was tempted by the devil
- Jesus picks his first disciple
- Jesus heals the sick
- Jesus Begins to preach
- Do not put the Lord your god to the test
- worship The Lord your god and serve him only
- Follow me and i will make you fishers of men
- While i was reading these verses in Matthew, the story that caught my attention the most was when jesus was tempted by the devil him self. First the tempter (satan) says of jesus " If you are the son of god then turn these stones to bread" Jesus quickly responded with scripture and says man dose not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of god.
- The tempter then took him to a holy city and had him stand on the edge of a building and said "if you are the son of man then throw yourself down for as it is written "he will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against stone. Jesus again quickly responds with scripture " do not put the lord your god to the test". Scripture quoting is very powerful but we need to watch out because the tempter himself knows the bible very well and will try and twist gods words like he dose with eve in the garden of eden.
- The tempter dose not stop there which should not surprise anyone because the tempter attacks day and night (rev 12:10). Satan takes jesus to a high mountain and shows him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor " all this i will give to you if you bow down before me and worship me. and jesus responds "Away from me satan! For it is written worship the lord your god and serve him only. WOW. Bow down before me and worship me. He went way to far with that one i think. This is the son of god, perfect in everything and he offers him some crapy kingdoms of the world if he worships him. I don't know about anyone else but i thought that was kind of a bold move and really funny that he would even try. But let me tell you something. Satan will do anything to get you away from god. he knows our weaknesses and where we stumble. alcohol, drugs, sex, gossip, stealing, lust, cursing, Hanging out with the wrong crowd and the list goes on. But we need to stand strong like Jesus and take action when tempted. Quote scripture if you have to, Pray and ask for gods help or just run from the temptation.
- I know its hard because the things we are tempted with are the things we like and feel good, but that just makes us worshipers of our own selves. Im not perfect either and i fall into temptation once in a while but no ones perfect we need to be more like Jesus and do something when the tempter comes around.
- This is a devotion that i did jan 22 and i came across it today and i felt like this is a huge event that happens in every persons life. It wasn't this long in jan tho, i added a bunch of new stuff to it as a went over the scriptures again. So i want to share and help you guys who are reading to get our of Satan's death grip of temptation.
- fee free to go back to this story in Matthew Chapter 4 The temptation of Jesus.
- some other verses I encourage you to look at if you are having problems with temptation are
- -1 corinthians 10:13
- -Hebrews 2:18
- -Hebrews 4:15-16
- -James 1:2-4 and 13-14
- -1 Peter 5:8-10
- -These are all scriptures that you can read about being tempted.